Dates In Kelly, KY History


•      Kelly Area Historical Timeline as of November 2013

•      Early History

•      1807 - “William and his family went to Christian Co. KY in 1807, along with his brother, Samuel, who was 10-12 years younger. William settled 12 or 13 miles north of Hopkinsville, on the Hopkinsville and Madisonville road.”

          (Source "History of Christian Co. KY" page 623. written in 1884)

•      1815

•      “The country near Crofton and Kelley's Station, in the year 1815, was mostly prairie, it being a difficult matter to even bet a riding switch, there being only one post oak standing anywhere near. It was about one-half mile south of Kelley's Station, and is known to this day as the Lonesome Oak.”

          (Source "History of Christian Co. KY" page 623. written in 1884)

•      “GEORGE H. FULLER was born December 07, 1815 in Kelly Station, Christian County, Kentucky, and died March 22, 1881 in Christian County, Kentucky.”

          (Source “Descendants of George Boyd, Sr. - MARTHA A. L.5 BOYD, http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/u/r/Brian-Durham/GENE7-0007.html”)

•      1845

•      School opened by Christian County: “…was established about 1845, and was located west of Crofton, the boundary beginning at Thomas M. Long's. No. 2 included what is now Kelly's Station, and the surrounding country.”

          (Source “Page 156 of Counties of Christian and Trigg, Kentucky: historical and biographical / edited by William Henry Perrin; written in 1888”)

•      Railroad History - 1871

•      Kelley’s Station organized with the building of the railroad; however it has never been incorporated or made a township by any records to date. From the Railroad timetables the area stop was listed as Kelly’s. It was built by Evansville-Henderson-Nashville and at that time steam locomotives were run on the tracks. Through much of its early days it was a regular stop for the milk run, as well as a regular stop to pick up cream, eggs, & meat (hog mainly) to take to Hopkinsville to sell. It also had a Railway Post Office mail stop each day in which a big sack was dropped off and/or picked up. Also there was the Railway Express which was similar of today’s UPS. One could order things by mail order catalogs, generally through Sears & Roebucks, Montgomery Ward, and garden seed and flower catalogs. Also bodies in caskets were all delivered to the depot through Railway Express.

•      The Post Office, General Stores, Churches, and Schools(two one-room schools for segregation purposes) were the center of the community.

          (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      On the 28th of October the Post Office was opened (could be considered the ‘founding’.) 

•      First Post Master/Mistress was Mary McCutcheon. (Also have the list of all post master/mistress of Kelley’s Station Post Office.)

•       As a rule the Post Master/Mistress was a store merchant. The Post Office was located in a general store.

          (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      Kelly Signal House

•      1874 - 1897

•      1874 - Dr. John Reuben Moore moved his practice to Kelly's Station. (Source “Burnett Family and Other Branches; http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=est3739-2&id=I17397”)

•      1878 - Geological survey of area.

          (Source “Reports of Progress, Volume 4 - 1878”)

•      1878, 14th of December - “Harvey McCorn shot John Hall at Kelley's Station; private quarrel.”

          (Source “Violent Deaths In Kentucky, 1878; http://kentuckyexplorer.com/nonmembers/00-06043.html”)

•      1885 - “A little boy of W.E. BOYD, died at Kelley's Station last Sunday of flux.”

          (Source “BOYD, http://www.westernkyhistory.org/christian/obit/b/boyd.html#Son of W E BOYD”)

•      1894, 15th of June - Kentucky New Era Article “There will be a re-union of ex-Federal soldiers down at Kelly’s Station on the fourth of July. Comrades will meet and talk over old times.”

          (Source “Kentucky New Era - June 15, 1894; http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qEUaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QyYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2657,4278363&dq=kelly's-station+ky&hl=en”)

•      1897- Christian County School Census of the Kelly School showed: 81 students between the ages of 6 - 19.

          (Source “Christian County School Census 1987”)

•       Early 1900’s

•      1900 - it became a flag stop to pick up passengers. Before then passengers would have to board in Hopkinsville or Crofton. During the day, one could get on the middle of the track with a white rag with some yardage and wave slowly back and forth above your head when the train came in sight. At night, one would use lit newspaper. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      1908, 25th of September - large house in Kelley’s Station for sale in Kentucky New Era.

          (Source “Weekly Kentucky New Era - Sep 25, 1908; http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1676&dat=19080925&id=CwAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9X8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4482,4948314”)

•      1912 - Burial for Dr. John Reuben Moore at family farm near Kelly's Station.

          (Source “Burnett Family and Other Branches; http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=est3739-2&id=I17397”)

•      1913

•      Photo of Kelly School: “Back in 1913 the student body of Kelly’s two-room, eight grade school north of Hopkinsville on the Madisonville Road posed for this picture. The school, located back of the Kelly Baptist Church, burned years ago.”

          (Source “ copy of newspaper clipping”)

•      Decline of Kelley’s Station

•      1926 - In 1926, the first federal highway in the country was built from Chicago to Jacksonville, FL; it was a rock crushed road called the Dixie B Line-this is were N 41 Madisonville Road lays today. At that time business started to move there and away from Old Madsionville Road and downtown Kelly. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      1931, 31st of January closed the Post Office. The Last Post Master/Mistress was last was Margaret Golden. When the Post Office closed, mail was delivered by rural delivery from Hopkinsville. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      1932 - In 1932, the first concrete surfaced road built in Christian County was N 41. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      1930’s - The depot was gone sometime in the 1930’s. The railroad tore it down because there was no need for it. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      1938 - Kelly school still in operation. “Christian County Grade School Graduation in the Armory Building in Spring of 1938” Awarded perfect attendance awards included from the Kelly School: Sadie Brake and Pauline Fuller. (Source “Christian County, KY, Volume 2 pg. 291”)

•      1955

•      The name Kelly was dropped from railroad timetables; the depot was gone and everyone went to Crofton or Hopkinsville for the train. (Source “Interview with Mr. William Turner, Christian County Historical Society Leader; 11/6/13.”)

•      21st of August - “Little Green Men” visit farmhouse incident. (Source “Kentucky New Era - Monday, August 22, 1955”)




Remember: We Need Your Help!

We are collecting stories, childhood memories, facts of historical significance, and copies of old photographs about the Kelly area. If you have any information or would like to be more involved in preserving our local history please contact the our local historical committee. Thank you for your part in making our community a better place to live and keeping alive our history for generations to come.

Kelly Historical Committee Members
Jesse Slaton        270-886-5899 or 270-886-9191
Joann Smithy       270-881-8843

Kelly Community Organization: kellycommunity@kellyky.com






2011 - 2016 Kelly Communnity Organization, Inc. - All Rights Reserved